Lawyer - Darwin
- Full time ongoing
We have the following opportunity is available in our Darwin office: Lawyer (Identified Position)
An opportunity for a diligent Lawyer has become available to join our legal team in Darwin. This is an opportunity for the right candidate to be part of a reputable organisation with excellent professional development prospects. Attractive remuneration package and access to salary packaging.
About the Role
Knowmore’s lawyers will provide high quality legal services to clients in a culturally safe and appropriate manner within a trauma informed and multi-disciplinary framework.
This role works collaboratively as a member of the national legal team and within knowmore’s multi-disciplinary model, working alongside other teams delivering intake, social work and cultural support services to clients. At times the role will also work with other partner services to support clients.
The role will advise and act on behalf of clients who are survivors of child sexual abuse about redress and compensation options, including redress claims under the National Redress Scheme. knowmore lawyers also contribute to knowmore’s policy and law reform work and prepare and deliver community legal education and participate in other community engagement activities, working cooperatively and collaboratively with other staff and service providers.
Guided by the organisation’s service plan, these roles will involve intrastate and possible interstate travel to deliver services to clients on an outreach basis, and to undertake community engagement activities. Accordingly, a current drivers’ license along with the ability and willingness to travel, including to remote and regional locations for up to a week at a time, and to work out of hours is required.
For our Identified Position. To be appointed to this position the applicant must be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person who identifies and is recognised as such within the community in which they live. To be appointed to the role, an applicant must comply with the requirements of any applicable legislation relating to legal practice (i.e. not be a person disqualified from employment by a legal practice) and will also need to meet the entry requirements for professional visitors to correctional centres across Australia.
Duties and Responsibilities (both roles)
- Providing high-quality legal information, advice, representation and referral services to clients who are survivors of child sexual abuse, through telephone and face to face services.
- Contributing as a professional member of a national legal practice; complying with the rules and requirements of relevant legal profession legislation and the Community Legal Centre Risk Management Guide.
- Working cooperatively and collaboratively, both within knowmore’s multi-disciplinary model of teams of legal and non-legal staff, and with external service providers, to ensure client’s legal and other needs are identified and actioned in a consistent, effective and timely way.
- Manage a significant caseload of client matters ensuring all service standards and timelines are met.
- Ensure all relevant service data is accurately recorded.
- Making referrals, including warm referrals, to other service providers where appropriate.
- Undertaking legal research and drafting to support knowmore’s contributions to law reform and policy and procedural initiatives relating to its client group.
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of community legal education and other engagement activities and materials.
- Undertaking and participating in the development and delivery of ongoing training and professional development activities for knowmore staff and service partners.
- Contribute to the day-to-day supervision and co-ordination of the activities of volunteers and pro bono providers.
- Proactively manage own self-care and workload.
- Undertake other duties and projects as directed.
How to apply
Your application must include:
- A cover letter outlining why you are applying for this position and your responses to the key selection criteria (maximum of four pages)
- A resume with your skills, experience and qualifications.
Further Information about knowmore is available at www.knowmore.org.au or contact 02 8267 7400.