Criminal Solicitor - Katherine
North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA)
- Salary - Remuneration will be between $71,411-$114,536 per annum (depending experience).
NAAJA provides legal representation and services for Indigenous people across the Northern Territory, with offices in Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Tennant Creek, and Alice Springs.
We are a leading Aboriginal legal service widely recognised for our work. NAAJA is a recipient of national and Northern Territory human rights awards. We are committed to providing quality representation for our clients and bringing about long-term change in the justice system.
1. To provide high quality legal advice and representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people charged with criminal offences.
2. In conjunction with other staff, to undertake work aimed at overcoming the disadvantage suffered by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
1. To undertake work in the Local Court for criminal matters, including a duty lawyer service, bail applications, direction hearings, pleas, hearings, committals and criminal matters in the Supreme Court.
2. Provide high quality advice on criminal law issues to clients and the Managing Criminal Solicitor as required.
3. To undertake work at circuit (bush) courts, including travel and overnight stays in remote communities.
4. To develop and implement goals in accordance with NAAJA’s Strategic Plan.
5. To assist the Managing Criminal Solicitor as required.
6. To assist in training, development and mentoring of lawyers and paralegals.
7. To identify issues that cause disadvantage to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the criminal justice system and to assist NAAJA through the Principal Legal Officer to respond to those issues through legal education, law reform and/or community development strategies.
8. To participate in all staff and team meetings as required.
9. Work co-operatively with secretarial and client service staff as required.
10. Other duties as directed.
For further information please contact Human Resources on