|Venue:||REINT Training Room, 2/6 Lindsay Street. Darwin NT 0800|
|Cost:||$99.00 incl. GST|
|Level:||Suitable for all levels of legal practice|
This event is available to attend in person and via zoom. If attending via zoom select the "ZOOM TICKET" option and the link will be sent to you the day prior to the event.
This CPD provides an overview of how to draft proper pleadings in civil cases.
You will learn what materials you need in order to draft a statement of claim, defence or reply; what steps to take before you begin to prepare the pleading; what the pleading rules require, where you can find precedents for pleadings and the value in the appropriate cases of Scott Schedules.
Presented by The Honourable Acting Justice Dean Mildren
Dean Mildren was appointed as an Acting Judge of the Supreme Court in 2013.
Before this appointment His Honour had been a permanent Judge of the Supreme Court between June 1991 and February 2013.
His Honour was admitted to the Supreme Court of South Australia in 1968 and the Northern Territory in 1970. He practised as a barrister and solicitor in Adelaide between 1968 and 1971 and in Darwin between 1972 and 1980.
His Honour joined the independant bar in 1980 and appointed as one of Her Majesty's Counsel in 1983.
His Honour's other appointents have included:
- Chairman of NT Planning Appeal Committee 1979-1985
- Deputy Chairman of Legal Practitioners Complaints Committee 1983-1988
- President of the Law Society NT 1973-75; 1979-1981
- President of the NT Bar Association 1987-1991
- Vice President of the Australian Bar Association 1989-1990
- President of the NT Law Reform Committee 1991-1997
- Chairman of the NT Council of Law Reporting 1991-1995; 1999-2012
- Military service in Army Legal Corps 1974-1996 including as a Defence Force Magistrate (1986-1991) and as a Judge Advocate (1986-1996) rising to the rank of Colonel. Awarded RFD and Bar in 1995
- Member of the Defence Force Discipline Appeal Tribunal 1996-201
- Part time lecturer NT University and Charles Darwin Universtiy 1997-2012
- Adjunct Professor of Law 1997-2002
- Commissioner of the High Court of the Solomon Islands 2016-2017
His Honour is the author of several publications including:
- Northern Territory Judgments 1918-1950 NTU Press 2001
- Big Boss Fella All Same Judge Federation Press 2011
- The Appellate Jurisdiction of the Courts Federation Press 2015
- R v Murdoch- the Falconio Case Lexis Nexis Butterworths 2015
- Numerous articles in various journals and other works
Earn 1 CPD point in Professional skills in legal practice (CC)
24 hours notice of cancellation is required or attendee will be charged. Substitutions can be made at any time. No refund or credits will be given to delegates who fail to attend the event. Please note Eventbrite's fees are non-refundable at any time.