Law Society NT Logo
Law Society NT Logo

Practising Certificates

Under the Legal Profession Act 2006 (NT), it is the responsibility of each practitioner to ensure that they have a current Practising Certificate.

A Practitioner may practice in the Northern Territory on their interstate Practising Certificate on one off matters as long as they have notified their PII insurer that they will be practising interstate. If a Practitioner is residing in the Northern Territory they need to apply for a Local Northern Territory Practising Certificate. They may however practice on their interstate Practising Certificate as long as they have been added to the firms PI insurance schedule until the end of the Practising Certificate year (being 30 June). When they have received their Northern Territory Practising Certificate they will need to surrender the interstate Practising Certificate.

The Practising Certificate year runs from 1 July to 30 June each year.

Four types of Practising Certificates are issued:


Usually issued to firm partners, sole practitioners, and senior solicitors in government departments, or legal aid organisations. Entitlement to Unrestricted Practising Certificates is set out in the Legal Profession Act 2006 or inquiries may be directed to the Law Society.


Employee solicitor in a legal firm, government department or legal aid service. Must be supervised by the holder of an unrestricted Practising Certificate.

Restricted Corporate Lawyer

Issued to an employee solicitor in a private corporation or organisation advising only their employer.


Australian legal practitioner practising as counsel only. The Society has adopted a formal policy as to what constitutes the work of a practitioner engaging in legal practice in the manner of a Barrister only.

Lodgment of Practising Certificates

All original applications for Practising Certificates should be lodged with the Law Society Northern Territory, together with appropriate documentation:

  • Proof of Professional Indemnity Insurance as required.
  • Payment of the Practising Certificate fee and if applicable payment of the Legal Practitioners Fidelity Fund contribution (s 393) etc.
  • A current Certificate of Fitness is required from each jurisdiction you have been admitted in, regardless of whether or not you have previously held a Practising Certificate in the Northern Territory.
  • If you are not registering to be admitted in the Northern Territory, a certified copy of your Admission Certificate is required.
  • If you are applying for an Unrestricted Practising Certificate for the first time, a Statutory Declaration regarding completion of the period of supervised legal practice.
  • A Checklist of Attachments is provided for your assistance:
  • Practising Certificate Application Checklist

Practising Certificate fees are not subject to GST.

All enquiries regarding Practising Certificates should be directed to the Law Society Northern Territory Licensing Officer: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Additional Practising Certificate documentation


Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII)

The approved PII broker is Marsh Pty Ltd.

They may be contacted at:

Marsh | Northern Territory
LMB 2, Darwin NT 0801
Level 1, 13 Cavenagh Street, Darwin, NT 0800 Australia
+1 61 8 8943 4400 | Fax +1 61 8 8981 9311

Practising Certificates cannot be issued without proof of PII. You should lodge your PII application with Marsh Pty Ltd., and your Practising Certificate application with the Law Society NT, prior to commencing practice. PII and Practising Certificates cannot be backdated prior to the receipt of the application.

2017/18 practising year

PII claims

Post-September 1995, notice of claims must be given in writing to Marsh Ltd., 45 Pirie St, ADELAIDE SA 5000. Notice should be given as soon as practicable of any circumstances of which you become aware during the period of insurance which may give rise to claim, or any claim made during the Period of Insurance, or of the receipt of notice from any person of any intention to make a claim.

If you are aware of any claim against your firm or a practitioner, of anyone's intention to make a claim against the firm or practitioner, or if you are aware of any circumstances which may give rise to a claim, notice must be given in writing to Marsh Ltd. immediately.

Pre-September 1995 claims will continue to be administered by:

Law Claims
23 Leigh St

Premium finance

Marsh has an arrangement in place with Macquarie Premium Finance to fund PII premiums, Practising Certificate fees and Legal Practitioners Fidelity Fund contributions. You can also arrange finance with your preferred premium finance institution.

Page last updated 11 October 2017

Certificate of Fitness

To obtain a Certificate of Fitness (Good Standing) a practitioner must provide a request in writing stating the following:

  • Practitioner's full name (as well as previous name, maiden name or married name)
  • Date of Admission to the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory (approximate).
  • Name and address of the Registering Body or Court to which the Practitioner is applying to the admitted or to be granted a Practising Certificate.
  • Fee of $132 (GST included). A cheque made payable to the Law Society Northern Territory, money order or credit card payment.
  • Only a written request signed by the legal practitioner will be accepted. Certificate of Fitness Application Form is available from the Society.

The Society will only provide original Certificate directly to the Registering Body or Court. A copy can be provided to the Practitioner upon request.

Page last updated 7 July 2017

Office Location

Level 3, 9 Cavenagh Street
Darwin NT 0800

Mailing Address

GPO Box 2388
Darwin NT 0801


Telephone: (08) 8981 5104
Fax: (08) 8941 1623
ABN: 62 208 314 893