Summary Prosecutor P2
Department of the Attorney-General & Justice
Director of Public Prosecutions
- Full-time, fixed to 28/08/2020
- Salary: $80,049 - $95,996
Key duties and responsibilites
- Conduct and appear in criminal proceedings including bail and arrest, Local Court, contest mentions, youth prosecutions, summary hearings, preliminary examinations, instructing in trials, pleas, bail hearings, appeals and related proceedings in accordance with the Director’s Guidelines.
- Provide quality legal advice on allocated prosecution cases.
- Evaluate, screen and prepare briefs of evidence and recommend charges in accordance with the Director’s Guidelines.
- Appropriately consult, liaise, inform and negotiate as required with defence counsel, victims, the police officer-in-charge, court staff and the Witness Assistance Service.
- Admitted or eligible for admission as a barrister or solicitor of the High Court or of a Supreme Court of a State or Territory of Australia.
- Advocacy and communication skills to enable the presentation of evidence and conduct proceedings in Court.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to be able to proof and adduce evidence from witnesses in a range of circumstances including through interpreters and in cross cultural situations.
- Knowledge of and experience in criminal law, practice and procedure.
- Ability to prosecute in accordance with the DPP Prosecution Policy and Guidelines.
- Ability to maintain a legal practice in accordance with internal practices and procedures and in compliance with time standards.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to work under pressure make sound judgements and prioritise workloads in a busy environment.
- An ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
- Detailed knowledge of the NT Criminal Code and procedures of the courts of the Northern Territory.
- Ability to undertake intrastate travel.
- - -
Position closes 20 August 2018.
Further information and to apply: https://jobs.nt.gov.au/Home/JobDetails?rtfId=147957