Community Solicitor - GLS
Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS) is an innovative community-based organisation that provides a range of legal services, including free legal advice and advocacy, community legal education, law reform and policy, community development and liaison. DCLS is committed to social justice and the protection of human rights in the Northern Territory.
About this role
The Community Solicitor position is based in the General Legal Service Team of DCLS and provides legal advice, community legal education to the community and supports systemic and law reform to enable access to justice.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Provide legal advice and assistance aligned to DCLS’s Strategic Plan and Advice and Casework guidelines.
• Contribute to the development of DCLS’s Legal Practice, team members’ skills and the identification of wider service delivery issues arising from client work.
• Develop policy and identify law reform opportunities based on evidence and practice, including through test cases, submissions, campaigning and lobbying.
• Liaise with key stakeholders including the legal profession, community organisations and local and national bodies, developing networks and collaboration.
• Contribute to the development and support of community workers, other legal practitioners, networks and the community through multi-media, training, workshops and publications.
• Other duties as reasonably directed by the Principal Solicitor.
Eligibility for admission as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory is essential.
Applications close COB Friday 22nd January 2021.
DCLS pays above award wages and salary packaging is available.
Superannuation 9.5%, 6 week’s annual leave (or pro-rata), and generous conditions including flexible working and time in lieu.
DCLS is an equal opportunity employer.