Tax Risk Management for Lawyers
Legal Education Program - FREE Zoom CPD
Presenter: Jim McMillan
Wednesday 17 November, 12 noon to 1.00 pm
There have been reports from other jurisdictions about a recent increase in professional indemnity claims against lawyers in respect of tax issues – with most claims relating to the failure of lawyers to advise on GST.
This session will focus on how lawyers can manage these risks, and will look at:
- some of the common areas where tax issues can come up in the course of legal practice,
- the duty to advise that practitioners owe to clients,
- how practitioners can discharge that duty,
- the importance of liaising with other advisors, especially tax accountants, and
- the importance of clear retainer terms.
Presenter – Jim McMillan is an experienced tax practitioner, who practices as a barrister at Murray Chambers (NT). He was previously a tax partner with the international accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers for 15 years, before returning to legal practice in 2013. He has a keen interest in legal education, and has taught extensively at Law Schools in SA and the NT.
Attending this CPD will accrue 1 CPD point in CB = core competency in Practice Management and Business Skills (Risk Management).
Zoom link: CLICK HERE
Meeting ID: 618 981 5104