Risk Management & Strategy
Includes recent decisions with practical implications on day to day practice.
|Venue:||Law Society Northern Territory, Level 3, 9 Cavenagh Street, Darwin|
|Cost:||$99 incl GST|
|Level:||Suitable for all levels for practice|
Three recent judgements relating to commercial law practice will be examined in this seminar:
- Victorian Supreme Court decision which highlights the need to focus on fundamental practices and professional obligations.
- NSW Supreme Court case which draws attention to the need to have file and matter management protocols in place.
- SA Supreme Court decision which reviews the tricky area of limited retainers.
Potential risks will be identified and examined including a failure to:
- Define and monitor the retainer
- Obtain adequate instructions
- Provide timely advice
- Maintain good internal and external documentation
- Delegate and supervise appropriately.
Tips and checklists will be provided to help protect against identified concerns. This seminar is a refresher of core risk management principles as well as raising awareness of emerging challenges.
Presenter: Jane LeMessurier, LLB, Partner, LeMessurier Harrington Consulting
Jane is a Managing Partner at LeMessurier Harrington Consulting in South Australia.
She has a background in private practice, education, professional indemnity insurance and risk and practice management consulting throughout Australia and overseas. She has extensive experience with the Northern Territory profession.
Earn 1.5 CPD points in Practice Management and Business Skills (CB) or Professional Skills in Legal Practice (CC).