Legal Costs Information
The Law Society has prepared documentation to assist users of legal services in understanding their rights in regards to the cost of their legal services provided.
Legal Costs - Your right to know
Legal Costs - Your right to know - explains the process of disputing lawyers' costs.
It includes information on topics such as:
- Your right to negotiate
- Your right to enter into a costs agreement
- Your right to receive a bill of costs
- Your right to be notified of changes
- Your right to request written progress reports
- What to do if you are unhappy with your legal costs.
Your right to challenge legal costs
Includes information on topics such as:
- Talking to your lawyer
- Lump sum and itemised bills
- Costs mediation
- Costs assessment
- Setting aside a costs agreement
- Other avenues for challenging legal costs.
Application for costs assessment
Includes information on:
- Background to costs assessment
- The fee
- The application
- An application form
Page last updated 5 March 2014